skipIP.com - new DDNS service free of charge with no hassle
Why skipIP.com. I've been using dyndns service since ages. It is not uncommon, that the ISPs are giving out dynamic IP addresses and it is very nice if you always know what address is your router at home having right now, when you want access it. However since longer time dyndns has worse and worse. They basically destroyed free DDNS service. At the moment they do not allow new free account registrations. Older free accounts are limited to 2 (two) hostnames. Additionally to this it is not enough to keep the router updating them. In order to keep your account active you have to login into it at least every month.
Update: Recently Dyn informed their free customers about the cancelation of the free program:
"That is why with mixed emotions we are notifying you that in 30 days, we will be ending our free hostname program."
That is a killer argument to switch to skipIP.
Being tired of this I've decided to roll my own DDNS service. Feel free to try it. It offers at least the following features:
- Completely free.
- SSL protected webinterface.
- Easy initial setup over the web gui.
- 5 hostnames. (Not enough? Open support ticket and tell us why?)
- Standard DDNS update API over HTTPS/HTTP. If your client supports it, use HTTPS.
- No extra client required. Supported by most routers out of the box.
- Different password for the web gui and for DDNS update client
- 60s TTL - the shortest TTL allowed by DNS standard.
- Unlimited updates.
- No need for login every N days.
- Are you missing some features? Let us know by opening support ticket, and we'll think about it.
Currently the service is in Beta state, so the registration is only possible with an invitation.
If you have suggestions/ideas for improvements and/or you've found a bug, please let me know by opening a support ticket.
The service is called skipIP and below you can get an invitation if you want.
|Invitation Codes (Currently there are still 0 invitations left)|
|Currently there are no free invitations. Please check later. New invitations are added periodically|